All eligible EAL learners who want to attend EAL classes must first have a free language assessment.
It is important to telephone the Entry Program at (204) 944-0133 for an appointment for a language assessment. Clients will need to bring one of the following documents with them to show their eligibility.
- landing papers
- permanent residence card
- provincial nominee program letter of acceptance, or
- refugee claimant papers
Also, please bring your Manitoba health card.
Participants must be 18 years of age or have completed high school.
The program is located at:
The Entry Program Unit 400 – 259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0C9
Who is eligible for assessment and referral to classes?
Manitoba residents who are:
- Permanent residents or Canadian citizens born outside Canada;
- Temporary residents with a Permanent Resident application and a strong likelihood of approval;
- Refugee claimants following the Immigrant Refugee Board acceptance; or
- Minister’s permit holders
The Language Assessment Centre is located at: Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC)
4th floor – 275 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2B3